Audacity Development Team - (Open Source)
Audacity is a multi-track recorder able to handle full projects, and an audio editor.
Audacity is a free audio processing software that supports the following file formats: WAV, AIFF, OGG and MP3, applying many filters to sound: silence suppression, echo or add special effects, noise suppression, mixing, distortion, reverb, pitch bend / shift and more.
It can cut audio files, delete or add rests, apply fading in / out audio files and treat separately the left / right channels. The program offers unlimited undo number and also the possibility to convert the records and old tapes to digital media.
Thanks to the integrated editor, you also have the ability to copy, paste and mix sounds together to create multitrack projects.
# Numerous bug fixes
* Crashes on Windows when clicking in the track or in effects dialogs.
* Crashes on OS X when closing or quitting.
* Warning (on by default) now provided when importing uncompressed audio files and when read-directly uncompressed files are missing.
* Full support added for later versions of the optional FFmpeg library up to current FFmpeg HEAD. More compatible U-Law/A-Law exports.
* VST effects processing restored to full speed. Hang fixed when launching on OS X 10.5 PPC with VST effects present.
* (OS X) Files imported from iTunes could create invalid characters in the .aup project file. See here for help re-opening older projects that have this error.
* (Linux) Crashes or stalled recordings using the pulse device. Crashes using Play-at-Speed if Audacity was configured with libsamplerate.
# Changes and Improvements
* Control Toolbar renamed to Transport Toolbar. Input/output selection moved from Mixer Toolbar to improved Device Toolbar (on by default).
* New "Sync-Lock Tracks" feature (turned on in the Tracks menu).
* Equalization now supports importing and exporting curves. Noise Removal improvements including new option to isolate noise.
* Improved Automatic Crash Recovery with all project changes autosaved.
* New "Extended Import" Preferences for specifying audio file importers.
* (Windows and Linux) Close button now quits on closing the last window while File > Close clears to a new, empty project.